Handling a caseload of Claimant Employers Liability claims, Public Liability claims and unusual Road traffic Accidents such as Pedestrian or Cyclist claims as well as transferred fast track RTA files
What is this role accountable for delivering?
- To manage a client's claim by continually using the firm's technical process and accurately documenting each activity that has taken place and ensuring time is recorded accurately
- To manage all client work allocated in accordance with the detailed procedures and quality standards contained in the firm's manual and client protocol
- To complete all necessary investigations into the circumstances of the incident and the value of the client's claim, carrying out legal research as required
- To collate and review the evidence. To assess prospects of the claim succeeding on it's merits. To assess the likely value of the claim for personal injury and recoverability of financial losses
- To ensure clients are provided the correct legal advice. Where appropriate, managing clients' expectations, explaining decisions and the steps in the claims process clearly and succinctly, and ensuring clients are treated fairly at all times
- To negotiate settlement on the best possible terms for the Client ensuring that instructions are complied with or taken at the necessary points. Ensuring that the legal expenses provider is kept updated at all key stages
- To draft the necessary documents to issue court proceedings, comply with court directions, draft statements and ready the file for a final court hearing
- To instruct counsel as necessary, drafting the brief and checking costs statements.
- To identify, own and manage the risks involved in running our business appropriate to the role, in line with the relevant risk framework and in compliance with all DLG Legal Services policies and procedures, the Solicitors Accounts Rules and the SRA Code of Conduct at all times.
- To manage cases efficiently and effectively. Making sure that client work is progressed efficiently to meet departmental targets and Service Level Agreements and the client is kept proactively informed where appropriate.
- Agreed levels of billing and time recording must be achieved. Incoming post should be reviewed daily and responded to promptly
- To identify and appropriately investigate all conflicts, complaints and potential acts of negligence and ensure they are reported immediately to a team leader or member of the compliance team.
- To ensure good working relationships with team-mates, team leader, management and administrative staff as well as maintaining a good working relationship with suppliers, external organisations and the work-source
- To support the strategic development of the department and firm by developing best practice and the client experience through continuous improvement initiatives.
What are the core competencies (skills, knowledge and behaviours) required in this role?
Experienced Claims handler, Legal Executive or Solicitor.
Previous experience of EL / PL claims handling preferable, either within an insurance company or law firm environment.
* Knowledge of Pre Action Protocols, CPR, Practice directions and relevant statute and case law as well as relevant regulations relating to accidents at work.
* Experience of using a Case Management System and using the MOJ Portal
* Knowledge of JC Guidelines for the assessment of general damages in personal injury cases and understanding and ability to research different resources e.g Lawtel
* Ability to communicate efficiently with clients by telephone and written communication
* Proven track record of achieving targets
Morgan McKinley is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
Please note that any references to salary or pay rates in this advertisement and in the salary refinement section are indicative only and should only be used as a guide.