When asked to discuss and debunk the myths surrounding recruiters, it didn't take me long to realise there are LOADS!
I was recently asked to answer some questions for the AAT blog (to be published in due course), discussing and debunking the many myths surrounding recruiters and the way we operate. As I said, it didn’t take me long to realise there are plenty out there, and that recruiters really do not have the best name for themselves.... Which bothers me! And from reading some of the bad experiences of candidates online, I can’t say I blame them for having such little faith...
However, I wholeheartedly believe that Morgan McKinley has some of the best Consultants in the business, and more notably, some of the most trustworthy too. Why not take a read below and see why...
1) What would be your top 3 recruitment myths (from your perspective or what candidates think)?
* That recruiters post jobs on their websites that do not exist
* That recruiters will ask what your minimum rate is so that they can make more money for themselves
* That when you don't get a job after one interview, we won't use you again.
2) Can you debunk them or reaffirm them as ‘real' or ‘myth’?
We post roles that we actually have, because we want our candidates to trust us as their Career Ally* That recruiters post jobs on their websites that do not exist - that's not true! Here at Morgan McKinley, we post what is live. Recruiters who post 'fake' jobs are doing so because they don't have much 'on the books' so to speak. We post roles that we actually have, because we want our candidates to trust us as their Career Ally.
* That recruiters will ask what your minimum rate is so that they can make more money for themselves - this is NOT the case. We have contract terms with all of our clients and there is always a set percentage as to what we can make from your salary/daily rate, no more, and no less! We will always try to get you the rate you want and deserve, we simply ask what your bottom line is so we can send you a larger scope of roles. After all, the one paying your minimum rate might actually be your dream job!
* That when you don't get a job after one interview, we won't use you again - absolutely not! We recognise that everyone has a different personality, work style, preference of culture etc. If you don't get the job after one interview, we will do everything we can to figure out why, and make sure the next interview and hiring manager that you meet with is a better match.
3) Can you relate any particular instances of when a candidate has got something completely wrong?
Yes, I had a candidate interviewing for a very senior, contract, Accounting role within an Investment Bank. The process was taking a very, very long time, and the candidate was convinced I was withholding information from them, not providing feedback, and essentially stringing them along. I have no idea how this would benefit me, but it really wasn't the case. The hiring manager was incredibly detailed, and had only ever hired permanently before, and so liked to take her time and really think through everything, and they then went on annual leave for a week - which is definitely allowed!
4) How would you advise a candidate avoid misjudging these myths or truths?
Meet your recruiter. You will see we are completely normal, trustworthy people (well, most are!),and so it should give you faith that they are doing their best to get you the role you want once you have built a relationship with them face to face.
Meet your recruiter. You will see we are completely normal, trustworthy people (well, most are!)
And be patient, big agencies like Morgan McKinley are dealing with vast numbers of clients, and so whilst we will try to speak with you as often as we can, we don't want to call you for no reason, and so will catch up with you when we have information to share that will aid your job search positively.
So, I do hope you feel more comfortable using us now. And, if you know of any more myths you would like to ask me / my colleagues about, please do feel free to get in touch, I promise we don’t bite!