Visas and the right to work in the United Kingdom

Morgan McKinley 03.10.2018

For non-UK passport holders, there may be rules and regulations that must be followed if you wish to work legitimately and in compliance with Home Office UK Border Agency.

Options of UK working Visas

There are different options of UK Visa depending on where you are travelling from, your nationality, skills and the intentions for your stay.

Residents from the European Union or European Economic Area (as well as Swiss nationals) have a right to live and work in the UK so are not required to obtain permission to work, with the exception of Bulgarian and Romanian nationals who require a UK work permit.

Not from one of the EEA countries so unsure if you’re eligible or not? Check if you need a UK work Visa here.

What are the different types of UK work Visas?

Ancestry Visa 

You are eligible if you are a Commonwealth national with a grandparent born in the UK. This Visa entitles you to 5 years of residency and employment in the UK.

Highly Skilled Migrant Programme Visa 

You must pass a points-based assessment that scores you on education, current salary and work history. Skilled workers do not need a secure job offer or sponsorship to be eligible.

Temporary Workers

You are required to have sponsorship from an employer and you must pass a points-based assessment prior to arrival in the UK.

Tier 1 Visa

Exceptional Talent - If you have been endorsed as a recognised or emerging leader in your field and you are from outside the EEA and Switzerland. Find out more here.

Graduate Entrepreneur - If you have been officially endorsed as having a genuine and credible business idea and meet other eligibility criteria. Find out more here.

Tier 2 Visa

General - You can apply for a Tier 2 General Visa if you’ve been offered a skilled job in the UK and you’re from outside the EEA and Switzerland. Find out more here.

Intra-company Transfer - You can apply for this visa if your overseas employer has offered you a role in a UK branch and you're from outside the EEA and Switzerland. Find out more here.

Tier 5 Visa

Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange - Apply for a Tier 5 visa if you want to come for work experience or training, an overseas Government Language Programme, research or a fellowship. To be eligible, you must have a sponsor and be from outside the EEA and Switzerland. Find out more here.

Temporary Worker - International Agreement - Eligible if you are from outside the EEA and Switzerland, and contracted to do work covered by international law while in the UK. Find out more here.

To learn more about the work visas available, visit the Government’s visas and immigration page.

Morgan McKinley's picture